• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

What book(s) are you reading right now?

Bihari

I’m back !
Reaction score
Currently reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Reaction score
I'm halfway through a few books that I haven't finished due to starting uni, but I've been currently reading Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone and Kendo: Culture of the Sword

CrayonsToChaos

Reaction score
Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb. This is number 2 in the third trilogy following the same characters.

Loved these books for many years and forced them upon friends and family. This one isn't the best in the series by a long way, but I guess you could say it's comfort food. Fitz's POV is starting to get a little grating this trilogy, he's so depressed all the time and I'm a little annoyed about how much the author torments some of her characters. Still, I can't not read it because it's Fitz and the Fool and I love those two. Especially the Fool. :love

Orochimaru

Aizen level
Reaction score
"The Snow Queen" by Anderson.

I feel ready to read it once again and see if there is smth my mind couldn't fully comprehend in my childhood hehe.

Luana Rainbow

The horror was for love
Reaction score
I'm reading Un Homme Obscure/ Une Belle Matinée by Marguerite Yourcenar for my French exam but I don't like it so far.
Today I'm also starting to read Macbeth because this is Shakespeare Week ♥

Roomsky

Gone and prolly forgotten
Reaction score

For a book infamous amongst the 40k community for being a let-down, the first 80 pages have been pretty good. Hoping James doesn't drop the ball.

BlackSoul

Gentleman Spy
Reaction score
just finished: Odysseus Abroad by Amit Chaudhuri

...this was really boring and disappointing about a whiny wannabe poet in london 80' hailing from india.
why the heck did this book garner so many positive reviews? perhaps I didn't understand it because it was so deep or other such artistic nonsense but either way it was boring.

Bihari

I’m back !
Reaction score
Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

ButterflyRose

You're My Special...
Reaction score
Wings by Aprilynne Pike (just finished)

Mercury's War
by Lora Leigh (ongoing). This one is such a trashy romance but I'm a sucker for these kinds of books for some reason lmao.

CrayonsToChaos

Reaction score
Just read the supposedly only non-fiction book in English about the Shinsengumi.

Although I enjoyed it, it's a real shame this is the only English language book on the subject because ... well... he has a few pet phrases which he repeats constantly and it gets very wearing, it seems to over sensationalise things for no reason. But it's been well-researched and helped me understand what the "facts" were behind all these hundreds of Shinsengumi things I've been watching and reading. I use the inverted commas because facts are a bit scant on the ground and a lot of the info is based on accounts written much, much later. I think the author does his best with what he's got considering the source material though. Definitely would recommend a read if you're interested in Japanese history, or guys with swords wandering around killing other guys with swords, or if you like politics.

As I suspected, these people are not as nice and cuddly as pop culture seems to think they are. In fact, it makes me wonder how they managed to transform into cuddly figures at all. I guess because the Japanese love tragic heroes and noble failure.

One downside to the book is that on the Kindle the main narrative stops at about 60% and the rest is all appendices, making you feel a little bit conned.

The author's name is Romulus Hillsborough, which I think you'll agree is quite an epic name.