• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

One Piece Chapters Discussion Thread Version 2

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 997

Alright, I was wrong about the voice Sanji heard being Ivankov. What actually happened reminded me of The Cobweb Hotel cartoon from 1936. I don't know who I expected will stumble upon Black Maria and her squad, but I certainly didn't think it would be Sanji. Luffy and Jinbei brushed off his disappearance, didn't they?

Zoro was badass this time around and it's awesome that Marco has finally arrived to the scene. It looks like the fire doesn't fully cure Queen's virus and it stalls its spread instead. It's Chopper's time to shine, I love how he's shown what a true doctor is all about.

For a moment, I thought that Yamato and Momonosuke reached safety, but no, Kaido decided to cut that thread of hope. I know dragons have unbelievable powers in fiction, but somehow the fact that Kaido lifted the entire Onigashima in the air and actually plans to make it move to the Flower Capital surprised me. Just when you thought that stakes couldn't be higher.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 998

Looks like I was right about Marco saving everybody with a healing flame. Despite this making Chopper's efforts sort of meaningless, our resident reindeer can still analyse the composition of the virus and possibly turn it against Queen in an upcoming battle. Omasa's back to normal, which is great, and just in time too because the DINOSAURS ARE IN TOWN BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Every single Tobi Roppo got a double-page spread this week and they all looked glorious. Who's Who is a biiiiiiiiiig boy in Smilodon mode. Sasaki as a Triceratops is very fitting but I was kinda expecting these two to have not so obvious ancient species associated with them after we were bamboozled with Queen's Brachiosaur reveal. Anyway.

Black Maria being a Jorogumo is very interesting though of all the ancient species, why Oda chose one of the smallest bird-eating spiders in existence I cannot fathom. Then again I don't know any other prehistoric spiders so who am I to criticise his decision *shrugs*. That being said, she's the only one who seems to be in hybrid mode unless of course spider types can't fully manifest their appearance; Onigumo is similar in that he manifested spider arms and a spider-butt but his face didn't change like all other zoans do in hybrid mode. Anyway, Oda's being pretty considerate of his audience to give the spider a cartoonish face.

So the mystery of why the Whitebeard Pirates didn't avenge Oden's death will finally see the light of day. I remember the discussions on reddit being absolutely insufferable and toxic because of this. Instead of just letting the story unfold and answer these questions naturally they were quick to call it a plot hole and chimp out. Regardless, it looks like Ace was aware of Oden's death and whatever transpired on Onigashima was enough for Whitebeard and the others to back off and stay away completely.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 998 "Ancient Types"

A part of me is thrilled to see Marco's epic flames help everyone on the battlefield and halt the spreading of the infection. However, there's a little voice in the back of my mind that regrets how Oda set this all up just to have Marco's flames be helpful for that specific situation. Couldn't he have made another sort of infection, not an ice-related one? What I mean is that when you have an ice-related infection and a character with healing flames nearby, there's no anticipation, no thrill of the wait for what happens next, you know from the get-go what that character's role will be.

I liked the chase for the antidote that Apoo had. Surprisingly enough, he got back up only to be crushed back down by X-Drake's awesome mythical DF. The good part is that at least Chopper now has a nice secluded corner to multiply the antidote, although no matter how long it takes for him to do that, it'll be too quick even for a fantasy setting, isn't that so?

Nothing much happened in the chapter, there was no real meat so to speak. But, we've got a lot of setups, starting with Marco hurrying Zoro, Robin and Brook up to the dome. Sanji is, seemingly, alone against Black Maria (and speaking of her, I surely did not expect her to be the spider-lady; I'm not familiar with Jorogumo in mythology, but it should be interesting).

All the other Tobi Roppo ancient forms were epic!!! I did not see the hints that Sasaki would be a Triceratops, but the reveal was both epic and it made so much sense in the same time. Who's Who's squad is awesome and I love the way he's been drawn; that pose is both endearing and badass. Jinbei holding such pride in being a Strawhat is awesome as well. Out of all the Tobi Roppo, I think I'm interested in Who's Who's story the most. Black Maria is interesting, mainly because of her mysterious speeches, but I think I'll pay more attention to Who's Who for the time being.

Finally, you can count on Yamato to find a secluded space. It may slow the pace down a bit again, but I would like if Yamato tells us about Ace's time on the island next chapter. Did he really punch that dragon statue? :XD Anyway, Ace's story's been running in the background this entire arc. It's interesting how we learn about Wano through 3, in a way parallel storylines within one arc - Roger, Ace and Luffy's.

What's interesting is that, if I got that right, the Strawhats (Sanji, Franky, Jinbei) are facing entire Tobi Roppo squads on their own. Usopp, Nami, Tama and Komachiyo are still running from Page One and Ulti, so that's one hybrid fight. Will Zoro, Robin and Brook go against King? Big Mom and Luffy are on their way towards the dome. This is one huge battlefield.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
A part of me is thrilled to see Marco's epic flames help everyone on the battlefield and halt the spreading of the infection. However, there's a little voice in the back of my mind that regrets how Oda set this all up just to have Marco's flames be helpful for that specific situation. Couldn't he have made another sort of infection, not an ice-related one? What I mean is that when you have an ice-related infection and a character with healing flames nearby, there's no anticipation, no thrill of the wait for what happens next, you know from the get-go what that character's role will be.
Yeah, I hear ya. For somebody who doesn't match his characters up against each other based on tropes he really did pull the ol' fire vs ice thing this time 'round. To be fair, those healing flames could probably have dealt with other kinds plagues as well, but seeing how easily it was thwarted on top of Queen's perturbed reaction wasn't very satisfying. If anything, Queen should be prepared for moments like this and should've released something specifically anti-Marco in response and joined the fray, thus upping the ante and creating more tension.

Nothing much happened in the chapter, there was no real meat so to speak. But, we've got a lot of setups, starting with Marco hurrying Zoro, Robin and Brook up to the dome
Haha hate to say it but it's true, the pacing in Act 3 has felt like this for a while now. It reminds me of that time in Bleach when we were waiting for Kisuke to launch Ichigo back to RR for 23 weeks or something.

but I would like if Yamato tells us about Ace's time on the island next chapter. Did he really punch that dragon statue? :XD
You better believe it. Ace's birthday is on January 1st and chapter 1000 gets officially released that same week, I highly suspect this was intentionally lined up so an important piece of Ace's history is revealed in the next two chapters. He said something about wanting to get the 1,000th chapter complete before the new year, got sick, recovered earlier than expected then pumped those chapters out one after the other instead of taking his regularly scheduled breaks to make up for it.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive reaction! :h5

Yeah, I hear ya. For somebody who doesn't match his characters up against each other based on tropes he really did pull the ol' fire vs ice thing this time 'round.
Had it not been fire (even if it's one that doesn't burn) vs. ice, Marco's involvement in the prevention of the infection would've felt less "in the face".

You better believe it. Ace's birthday is on January 1st and chapter 1000 gets officially released that same week, I highly suspect this was intentionally lined up so an important piece of Ace's history is revealed in the next two chapters. He said something about wanting to get the 1,000th chapter complete before the new year, got sick, recovered earlier than expected then pumped those chapters out one after the other instead of taking his regularly scheduled breaks to make up for it.
Oda took an unexpected 2 (?) week long break, but before that, I think his plan was to release chapter 1000 within WSJ's fiscal 2020 year that ends before the end of the calendar year. Since then, he could've very well re-calibrated his plans to at least have something special on the big chapter. I think the fact that we'll be getting two double-issues in a row helped his scheduling. (Even though I think double issues don't necessarily mean more breaks for authors, but that they have to produce and submit 2 chapters over a shorter course of time...)

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 999

So Kaido is Gyarados confirmed. Even though it wasn't specified it looks like he ate a mythical koi fruit and somehow transformed into a dragon, possibly by attempting impossible feats and overcoming great challenges along the way (and failing a lot of the time to that end). Wanokuni being only accessible by waterfalls was a pretty cheeky hint and I remember a few people on reddit picking up on that way back when. Man, that spread panel with Big Mom and Kaido was glorious. That being said, I feel bad for Kin'emon and friends. RIP at least they tried.

Seeing Marco remember Ace in a slice-of-life kinda way with some familiar faces was kinda sad... They used to be so happy together, goddamnit Teach you ruined everything! But so did Whitebeard's cancer but that's neither here nor there. I'm not really a nakama shouter but it does seem like Yamato is raising some "I'm going to join the crew" flags. Poor thing, I just want her to be happy D: At that just makes me feel even worse now that Ace is dead. Damnit Teach, you ruined everything... again!!

I never thought I'd see a dinosaur shoot a phoenix with a gun that came out of its mouth but here I am, another year older, as they say. I just wish all this running around would stop, it's starting to get on my nerves.

Edit: Oh and that panel of Marco biting into a pineapple lmao.

Last edited:

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 1000 is almost there and I'm only now writing about the 999th one. :XD

Colour me surprised that Kaido's DF is actually a mythical fish one. The end was epic. We've got a handful of characters on their way to the dome, but it's sad that it looks like Oden's Retainers are done for the time being. The back story about Ace was both heartwarming and heartbreaking in the same time. Ace was truly one of a kind, it's amazing how he's inspired so many characters. I liked the detail where Momonosuke and Otama heard the story simultaneously. Chapter 1000 better have more meat to it! :D

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 1000

Holy Moly. Luffy's looking and feeling a lot like a young Roger right now. It's funny how Ace punched the dragon statue with his Hiken to dent it and now Luffy is punching a different kind of dragon in the face with a burning fist of his own; it actually looks like an upgraded version of his Red Hawk, which was inspired by Ace himself. Wow. It's a shame the other supernova won't be participating in the dome fight but it makes sense, all things considered. I'm just curious as to whether or not Hawkins is on the island right now. Chances are he helped Tama get to Onigashima and I feel like his place in the brawl is downstairs helping Drake and the others fight off the Tobiroppo and Numbers.

So not only does he have a gun in his mouth but his neck can extend like a splitstaff, right-o. Queen was a proper cyborg from the get-go I guess. It's a little weird that both King and Queen are being manhandled by Marco with such ease when at least one of them, King specifically, could give him a nice haki-imbued kick to the ribs. And of course Luffy calls Shishilian Shishimamushi lol. I'm curious as to whether Ace genuinely doesn't know Yamato is referring to Roger as the "great man" or if he's just being facetious.

Happy 1000 woooooo!