• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

One Piece Chapters Discussion Thread Version 2

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
@Polgarena

I feel like you summed it up perfectly there. It kinda makes you wonder why he doesn't just pick a fight with Marineford or Mary Geoise and etch his name unto history in another way. It seems like he's stagnating because he wants his life validated on his terms but doesn't have anything to fight for and can't move past that. Newgate had a family to die for, Roger was on a righteous quest for truth and Oden fought for the integrity and future of his nation until the bitter end. What about Kaido?

Wanokuni doesn't really mean anything to him, it's just a means to an end. His daughter, sadly, doesn't seem that important to him either. As for his crew, he's only ever shown an unprecedented warmth towards Jack. Doflamingo and Ceaser were just tools. His dream of having an all-beast crew is kinda hack. Like, he's accomplished it already but even if he hadn't... what would it have achieved? Even Big Mom dreamed of a utopia before being a pirate! Kaido was so focused on dying to the strongest warriors of his time that he neglected to foster his contemporaries and build them up as rivals. People like Gecko Moriah were demoralised beyond repair and the the handful of powerful warriors Kaido was relying on to make his life meaningful were growing infirm or dying, thus completing their own cycles of life.

I feel like he's suffering from his own narrow-sightedness. He has no rival, no home, no purpose, no friends and to a certain degree no family. Kaido was so obsessed by death on a superficial level that he didn't bother building up anything vulnerable and important to protect or pursue.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, @darkeningcloud !

With Kaido, it seems like he's stuck in a cycle and not a good one. He's been in one of the most legendary and certainly the most notorious pirate crew and yet everyone else found their purpose after it disbanded. Like you say, Kaido's goal to have the strongest animal-crew doesn't seem as fulfilling as Whitebeard, Big Mom and Roger's. And Kaido knows that. Depression works like that - he's stuck in one place, can't move forward even though he knows he should. He is this larger than life creature, capable of annihilating entire countries, but he is also quite lonely when you think about it. Every other pirate, has some goal they strive towards and a strong will to pursue those goals/dreams. That's why the concept of "treasure" is so important in One Piece. Kaido, so far, hasn't shown that he has that "treasure".

Also, Kaido's relationship with Jack is intriguing. Where basically everyone at some point looked down on him, Kaido hasn't.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 995

Wow, the weakling trio ate a fat one this week. It's a good thing Marco's a doctor and noticed the commotion going on in the plaza, I expect his mystic healing fire will melt away the frozen rot from the infected masses. This might actually turn some of the pleasures and waiters against Queen and, alongside Tama's kibi dango affecting the Gifters, tip the odds back in the alliance's favour. A few grunts may not sound like much but we've seen the strength of the average citizenry come in clutch when our protagonists needed that extra push time and time again.

LOL at Big Mom using Prometheus and Zeus as makeshift boosters to fly away, that was pretty silly. It's a shame she didn't react much to her oldest child getting scarred up right in front of her like that but I guess it falls within the occupational hazards of being a pirate. We've seen her unsympathetic and outright murderous side during her fits of anger and the cursed hunger pangs, but seeing her just ditch him to deal with a 3 vs 1 seems kinda cold when she's strong enough to crush at least two of them. Idk whether it's trust that Peros will pull through or an expectation that he should but man it sucks to be him haha. Don't die Candyman, plz!

Okay, this is going to sound stupid but seeing as how everybody in Wanokuni has been pretending to be somebody else, watch Komachiyo get revealed as being more important than we realised in the upcoming chapters. Whether it's Hyogoro that recognises him or somebody else, he'll end up being an actual Shisa belonging to one of the daimyo's families. Furthermore, watch Tama be revealed as the descendent of one of these families to which the Tenguyama clan was sworn to.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 996

Sasaki's got an interesting looking sword, the way it's layered kinda reminds me of a shark's scales. I'm guessing it'll be called Samehada. With this and Franky's presence here, there's a chance the theory stating that Sasaki is Kokoro's son is true and that this fight between them will be like settling a family issue. I always thought it was weird that Chimney's parents were MIA and their deaths or imprisonment were unconfirmed, which would lead one to believe that they were pirates who were still active in some capacity. Kokoro having a son instead of a daughter was confirmed in one of the SBS so this could end up being Sasaki, the missing half-fishman from Water 7.

What's happening with Yamato all of a sudden? Is it the ancient giant DNA or something else? A devil fruit? Or is she and her father actually dragons? Anyway, Hacha's got the defunct kanji for 8 tattooed on his side.

I posted this on reddit but I have a theory on Big Mom right now. She's being made to look like she's heading up to the dome to either a) help Kaido or b) betray him outright but I believe she's heading up there specifically to steal the souls of the enemies he's already defeated. The "I don't have the souls to deal with you" comment she made to Marco is very telling but I don't think things will end up going so smoothly for her when she reaches the dome. Just like Jinbe, the samurai and minks will show zero fear to Soul Pocus but Kaido's mooks may end up getting their own souls sucked out instead. This vulture-like mentality on top of the Beast Pirates being SP'd might rub Kaido the wrong way and the two will inevitably clash, turning this into a falling out for both parties.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 995

Wow, the weakling trio ate a fat one this week. It's a good thing Marco's a doctor and noticed the commotion going on in the plaza, I expect his mystic healing fire will melt away the frozen rot from the infected masses. This might actually turn some of the pleasures and waiters against Queen and, alongside Tama's kibi dango affecting the Gifters, tip the odds back in the alliance's favour. A few grunts may not sound like much but we've seen the strength of the average citizenry come in clutch when our protagonists needed that extra push time and time again.

LOL at Big Mom using Prometheus and Zeus as makeshift boosters to fly away, that was pretty silly. It's a shame she didn't react much to her oldest child getting scarred up right in front of her like that but I guess it falls within the occupational hazards of being a pirate. We've seen her unsympathetic and outright murderous side during her fits of anger and the cursed hunger pangs, but seeing her just ditch him to deal with a 3 vs 1 seems kinda cold when she's strong enough to crush at least two of them. Idk whether it's trust that Peros will pull through or an expectation that he should but man it sucks to be him haha. Don't die Candyman, plz!

Okay, this is going to sound stupid but seeing as how everybody in Wanokuni has been pretending to be somebody else, watch Komachiyo get revealed as being more important than we realised in the upcoming chapters. Whether it's Hyogoro that recognises him or somebody else, he'll end up being an actual Shisa belonging to one of the daimyo's families. Furthermore, watch Tama be revealed as the descendent of one of these families to which the Tenguyama clan was sworn to.
Stuff happened, I got busy, but I still can't believe I forgot to write at least 2-3 sentences about chapter 995 and now it looks like the scanlations of the 996th one are already up.

Let me just say that I love your reviews, @darkeningcloud - you cover so many areas and connect the story parts so well and make the reading experience even more enjoyable.

A handful of notes:
~ It looks like Marco will find his purpose in this war; between him fighting and healing, I'd much rather see him heal the Ice Onis now. We can see him fight later. His skirmish against Big Mom was good enough.
~ Now that you mention it, it did look like Big Mom just ditched Perospero like that. It's tough being a Charlotte unless you're Big Mom herself. She's got these grandiose plans, but her personality is complicated and rather unstable. It's left open whether she really ditched Perospero or she believes he can fight Carrot and Wanda.
~ The thing is that given a bit more preparation and a bit more favorable settings, Nami and Usopp wouldn't sustain that many injuries against Ulti and Page One. But boy, they took a beating. Is there any Strawhat who hasn't proclaimed that Luffy will be the Pirate King now?
~ Awesome entrance by Tama and Komachiyo. I love your family that Komachiyo's got some hidden importance. Gyukimaru/Onimaru was one such example.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Stuff happened, I got busy, but I still can't believe I forgot to write at least 2-3 sentences about chapter 995 and now it looks like the scanlations of the 996th one are already up.
Lol don't fall behind Polga, we've been on a no-break spree lately. Watch there be a break after 997. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it, but you should be thanking Oda for putting the product together. I'm only unpacking the parts that interest me most, which is kinda selfish when you think about it :p

Off-topic but not really; it'd be nice if they added a Jinbe statue to the Kumamoto statue schedule. It looks like there's a river or canal within the prefecture so it'd be nice to have our sea yakuza on a bridge overlooking the water, performing an Ohikaenasutte greeting. That'd be dope AF.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the support! :XD It would indeed be nice if they added Jinbei's statue in Kumamoto as well. :amuse

About chapter 996 - it was awesome! This time there was action on all fronts, but it didn't feel disjoint. So many important scenes took place.

Good theory about Big Mom's plans, darkeningcloud! :thumbs

Otama was badass, though I wonder what's the enemy ship she presumably stowaway on - Big Mom Pirates' or Ivankov's if that's him at the end of the chapter (if we're judging by Sanji's reaction)? What other enemy could be there on Wano? CP0? Still, she saved Nami and Usopp like a pro. (Lol at Nami focusing on the most important thing - her own safety. It's fun when she keeps that front because by now we all know how loyal to her crew-mates she really is.)

Then there's Yamato and Franky vs. Sasaki and his armored squad. I had to go back to the panel where Yamato's teeth transformed, but yes, it's interesting that Oda showed that to us. We'll most likely see her transform at some point. A wild thought has just ran through my mind - what if, in case that she and Kaido aren't outright dragons, her father forced Yamato to eat a Devil Fruit (Ancient Zoan or not) when she was still a child and now she's reluctant to tap into that power? :headscratch

It's nice that Franky joined that part of the battlefield even though I didn't expect Haccha to go down that easily. Albeit, it only looked like he was easily immobilized because Yamato's just that awesomely powerful.

Sasaki's sword looks interesting and I think it may be more than your regular blade because it's got a rather intricate design.

It may be just me, but it was so funny to see Law dragging all that metal while also making a better progress towards the rooftop compared to Luffy. :rofl

Moving on, Law has somehow managed to smoothly arrive to the room with the Poneglyph. Why do I feel like his sudden curiosity towards the meaning of The Will of D chips away at the armor he had as a character so far. The fact that he remembered Corazon and that brief flashback with Robin felt quite ominous.

Did I miss anything?

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 997

Let's talk about Black Maria's crew right off the bat; two of the three underlings we see here are Sarahebi, the propaganda teacher from the Flower Capital, and the spotted-boa smile user from chapter 980. I suppose the latter is a Shinuchi/Headliner as well... Those two aside, the third one caught my interest more. I had heard long ago that Japanese women of relative antiquity would dye their teeth black to preserve them or when they were reaching the age of marriage, which led me to believe this "lord" performing the pantomime with Sarahebi was actually a woman. But... having another look at the wikipedia article for Ohaguro shows that military commanders who had their faces damaged pretty badly would also use cosmetics and blacken their teeth as well. How true this is, I cannot say, but if it is then this third pirate could either be a man or a woman. Regardless, it's an interesting representation among a crew you'd expect the top brass of to be exclusively female. Completely unrelated but with this knowledge in mind, what does that mean for Yadomaru Lisa from Bleach whose Shikai is called Hagurotonbo? The dragonfly is one thing but the "iron-drink" has a lot more context now. Anyway...

Kaido's not playing, if he drops Onigashima right on top of the Flower Capital there's going to be a major issue. In some ways it's reminiscent of Skypiea but I don't think that tree the shogun's palace is situated on is going to be strong enough to support this entire island... Funnily enough, isn't Onigashima about the same size as the central island of Wano that makes up the Flower Capital? I feel like it's a lost cause. The locals will have to evacuate IMMEDIATELY but who's going to let them know ahead of time? Well, there's one guy who we haven't seen in a while who consumed a giant communication device.... Our boi Caribou will come in clutch and save the citizens of Wano, just you wait and see! :p

I'm surprised Mizerka was named at all but it's good that she was. Hopefully the Beetleman and Tortoiseman are also named at some point, though it might be too late for the latter to be named in-story considering Yamato took him out 2-3 chapters ago. Poker looks hilarious though lmao, nice legs my guy.

And what about Zoro? We haven't seen an Iia Strike like that in quite some time! God, it was drawn so well! And hey, turns out fire in general did help in combating the new plague! I'm actually expecting Orochi with 7 heads to burst onto the scene soon with Fukurokujou dangling from one of his mouths, going berserk on all the "traitors", ironically enough.

Reaction score
One piece has been so bad lately, from constant plot armours to ass pulls and shoe horned plot convenience characters.. (nothing new in OP of course) but it just keeps getting worse and worse.