• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

One Piece Chapters Discussion Thread Version 2

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 992

Okay, so earlier this year I had a theory that the protags would only be able to defeat Kaido by making him relive some kind of trauma from the past, similar to what Bege planned to use against Big Mom. Back then I was still of the mind that Kaido's most traumatic moments would be being used as a test subject for Vegapunk on Punk Hazard, constantly being experimented on, sent out into the world as a field test then forcibly captured and brought back again and again. It seems it was a lot simpler than that - Kaido's trauma is/was Oden. The ghosts of the Akazaya 9 are literally echoing Oden through the ages, even in battle.

Black Maria is heavenly as always though her actions are extremely suspicious. She's singing a song about two people finally meeting under moonlight (or Kozuki hint hint) instead of participating in the all-out brawl... so who's she waiting for? And if not her then whose reunion is she anticipating? Yamato and Momonosuke perhaps? Or does it go deeper and hold implications of two superpowers or two wills reuniting once the Kozuki open the borders to Wanokuni?

Carrot, no! Candyman bad, stay away. It kinda sucks Perospero's misgivings about the alliance have been quelled but Big Mom might have an ace up her sleeve and turn this entire thing around with a double-cross. After ingraining herself in their "alliance" and letting Kaido's goons fight it out she holds a position of power to completely usurp Kaido and whoever isn't completely worn down and expand her territory. I'm just hoping somebody's let the BMP use the gondola because I can't imagine they'd be happy waiting at the bottom of a waterfall for the entirety of the Golden Kagura.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
This was a very interesting chapter, held together by Black Maria's song.

I too am surprised that Perospero succumbed to Big Mom's will so easily, but generally speaking it's not easy to be the first son of the Charlotte family and Big Mom has a strong hold over all of her children. It's curious that she thinks Whitebeard indebted his Commanders to carry out his will when he has most likely thought that the biggest legacy he could leave to the world is the freedom of his family members. I wonder what will Marco do next.

As said, Black Maria's song is like an omen looming over many participants in this battle. She's a mysterious agent and I can't read her at all.

The flashback arc about Oden makes the current chapters emotional. His retainers have strong dedication. Kaido is a calamity, but he is vulnerable. Even he can't go against the 9 inheritors of Oden's will unscathed. The samurai/Wano Ryou is on a whole new level compared to the usual Haki and this battle against Kaido shows why. It was so epic to see all of them (bar Izo) take Oden's 2-sword style stance.

There was that elevator entrance to Wano, so whatever happened to it? Kaido controls it, so Big Mom's pirates could use it instead of the waterfall. :headscratch

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
There was that elevator entrance to Wano, so whatever happened to it? Kaido controls it, so Big Mom's pirates could use it instead of the waterfall. :headscratch
It was a secret entrance IIRC but yeah, they could've sent somebody to guide them to the waterfall and open it up.

I'm actually curious as to why Wanda isn't on the rooftop with the other minks despite being one of the Musketeers. Maybe this is Oda's way of evening out the odds against Perospero or at the very least giving Carrot an anchor point she can use to escape her overwhelming desire for vengeance and return to normalcy. Like a talk no jutsu sort of thing where Wanda tells Carrot this isn't what Pedro would have wanted; you dying or doing something stupid in his name after he risked his life to save yours.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
It was a secret entrance IIRC but yeah, they could've sent somebody to guide them to the waterfall and open it up.

I'm actually curious as to why Wanda isn't on the rooftop with the other minks despite being one of the Musketeers. Maybe this is Oda's way of evening out the odds against Perospero or at the very least giving Carrot an anchor point she can use to escape her overwhelming desire for vengeance and return to normalcy. Like a talk no jutsu sort of thing where Wanda tells Carrot this isn't what Pedro would have wanted; you dying or doing something stupid in his name after he risked his life to save yours.
That's what I was thinking. Since they're still officially allied, I wouldn't put it past Big Mom to request somebody to go and help her crew finally get to Wano.

I was rather surprised to see Wanda chasing after Carrot; I have thought she's on the rooftop as well. What Carrot's doing is definitely reckless. It's one thing to do ones best to prevent somebody as dangerous as Perospero from endangering the plan to defeat Kaido, but it's a whole different thing to put your life on the line recklessly. I don't think Carrot can incapacitate Perospero unless she catches him by surprise.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 993

The pace is getting rather slow, I feel like every chapter is setting up a new road block for a different character that ends up getting resolved off-screen or interrupted by another character. I know there's a lot going on but I don't feel like we're getting anywhere anytime soon. Oda's probably stalling for chapter 1,000 and has padded out some of the events leading up to a big moment he's envisioned for the aforementioned chapter.

The Kamaitachi turning One Piece into Bleach was pretty funny lmao. At least Kaido's starting to take this seriously after being lost in reverie for his OTL Oden since the battle begin, hopefully we can see his hybrid form in the next couple of chapters.

There were quite a few cameos in the Flower Capital as well; alongside those who owned the plans to Kaido's mansion at some point we got one of the two weapon dealers Nami and Shinobu were spying on, the azukibaba and her husbando, Minatomo and some girl with freckles who I feel like I've seen somewhere in this arc but I can't quite determine where... I'm surprised we weren't given a glimpse of Hiyori and Toko wherever they may be...

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Compared to the previous chapter, it didn't feel like much happened this time around, at least at first. A lot of things take place off-panel and that's been happening for years now.

Mangakas don't normally pay attention to milestones such as the 100th or 200th chapter, nor do they receive colour pages on such occasions. But in case of One Piece, there should be some fanfare surrounding chapter 1000.

Luffy is still on his way and predictably can't stop himself from entering fights that would eventually drain him before he faces Kaido. So, it's good that Jinbei joined Sanji in keeping Luffy in check (although, while they were having their discussion, Luffy probably engaged in other skirmishes as well).

It looks like the Tobi Roppo will fight Yamato with Sasaki being the first one. I wonder how this will turn out. Shinobu's dedication to protecting Momo is amazing. Oda could've cut something from the scene with Luffy and showed more of this segment.

And then there's Oden's retainers vs. Kaido. It's really not surprising that Kaido didn't stay down for too long. I have thought that he would be more stressed, but now it seems he's agitated that Kin'emon and others even tried to replicate Oden's swordsmanship. Will they be able to tire Kaido down enough for the moment Luffy arrives now that he started to take this more seriously. Also, I never would've thought that Kiku would be the first to sustain serious injuries.

Also, I have noticed the Flower Capital cameos. :thumbs

Finally, congratulations Lola!

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 994

At least Dobon can raise his head up high (within that hippo's mouth) knowing there's a smile user out there whose head protrudes from a chicken's butt. Yeesh. Young Yamato seems to have tiny horns on her head... these horns are really starting to blur the lines between decoration and anatomy. We know there are horned people in the world like Hanyabal and Gecko Moriah, and Black Maria is the only other character to distinctly have her horns connected to her head, so I guess Yamato's horns are real as well? It's hard to tell with the hairline but I guess Kaido's horns are the real deal and by virtue of being his daughter Yamato's would be the same... It'd be weird to find out Kaido has a fighting-fish lineage like Dellinger and that's why he has those horns but I wouldn't put it past Oda considering how interconnected everything in the greater New World arc has been. Maybe they're all offshoots from the ancient giants who looked like demons themselves... Considering Wotans are a thing, it shouldn't be all that surprising. Plus it would add another layer to Moriah's connection to Oars, as well as Kaido and the Numbers.