• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

One Piece Chapters Discussion Thread Version 2

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
I thought the one from this chapter (already forgot his name, haha; the price of not discussing chapters on a weekly basis for a long long time) was the 2nd one after the young-looking one from the time Zoro, Kidd and Luffy first started to wreck havoc on the party.
We've seen Hacha (the tracksuit one) and Nagi (the Momotaro-style oni) in their base forms. We saw Jyuki's silhouette as he was celebrating/drinking with smaller individuals behind a paper-screen wall and he looks like a drunk crocodile or a komodo dragon :p The other two - Goki and Kunyu - we've only heard their laughs alongside Hacha's when Queen was announcing all the groups one by one when the Golden Kagura began. Gifters! Headliners! Tobiroppo! Numbers!!

And what about that final double-spread?! Brook was awesome, just like Franky-aniki.
Lmao I can't believe Franky did Big Mom dirty like that. Then again... he doesn't know just how much a tank she is. I wonder if he'll try to suplex her? Or if he'll summon his Franky Shogun? What if Big Mom can impart the Franky Shogun with a soul!? :O

Finally, it may be due to the Germa suit that Sanji was able to free Momo from the chains when Shinobu hasn't been. He's got quite a strong opponent in King, so we'll see how this develops.
Yeah, no joke, Sanji's gonna have his hands full with this one. I doubt Zoro will jump in and unite the two sides of the fanboy-dom together but maybe Drake and Law will step up to help out their beloved Stealth Black? Meanwhile, Queen is just procrastinating as always. Then there's Black Maria who's inexplicably absent from the proceedings. Sasaki, Who's Who, the other Numbers... There are just so many enemies on Onigashima right now. I really hope the BMP swoop in to save the day.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Numbers; I thought that the one seen drinking behind the paper-screen was Orochi.

Lmao I can't believe Franky did Big Mom dirty like that. Then again... he doesn't know just how much a tank she is. I wonder if he'll try to suplex her? Or if he'll summon his Franky Shogun? What if Big Mom can impart the Franky Shogun with a soul!? :O
I doubt Franky could put up a longer fight against Big Mom, but he may have tricks to keep her distracted. He certainly took her by surprise which gave Brook an opening against Prometheus. Big Mom has super durability and great offensive capabilities, so only a select few characters could fight her for a longer period. Luffy may stand a better chance then he did on Whole Cake Island, but it still appears that he couldn't take on both Yonkou in one night. I surmise it'll take a team effort to defeat Big Mom (and Kaido while we're at it).

Yeah, no joke, Sanji's gonna have his hands full with this one. I doubt Zoro will jump in and unite the two sides of the fanboy-dom together but maybe Drake and Law will step up to help out their beloved Stealth Black? Meanwhile, Queen is just procrastinating as always. Then there's Black Maria who's inexplicably absent from the proceedings. Sasaki, Who's Who, the other Numbers... There are just so many enemies on Onigashima right now. I really hope the BMP swoop in to save the day.
People would really like to see Zoro and Sanji tag team against King, but I too doubt that'll happen. We've yet to see the likes of Hawkins and Marco. Maybe Marco will at least briefly fight King. Just like you said, some of the strongest Beast Pirates have yet to join the fight as well.

Queen is such an interesting character; when you really think about it, Queen perhaps screwed up just as much as Jack did. Though, given his Devil Fruit, Queen's in a similar situation as Kaido - it'd be the best if he fought outside.

Black Maria is an enigmatic character. Sasaki was last seen when Denjiro tied him up. Who's Who has a plan of his own IIRC.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 989 - Early Scanlation

Awwwww yeah. More Numbers. Just as I thought, Goki and Jyuki have finally shown themselves and we now have the number 4 Jaki on the scene as well. Jaki himself is the same number we saw in Oden's flashback as well as one of the silhouetted numbers from their reveal way back when. I love when little revelations like this are revealed or confirmed in some way. *kisses fingertips* Bellisimo.

Whilst I didn't have Ancient Giants like Oars in mind I did believe the Numbers to be victims of a previous Gigantification process by Vegapunk and that the reason they're with Kaido now is that they escaped the facility with him when Big Mom came to Punk Hazard (thus the favour Kaido owes her). My theory was that Kaido was experimented on as a child so that Vegapunk could study his dragon fruit and use his understanding to recreate dragons in the real world. This would involve "field tests" where he was let loose on the world and forcibly brought back by the WG/Marines, thus the "Kaido has been captured and defeated this many times" exposition we were given during his debut. Cue Big Mom arriving in Punk Hazard after hearing about gigantification through her network, rescuing a young Kaido and freeing the Numbers and boom. The real question is whether or not Kaido came back for the Numbers, wherever they absconded to, after Rocks disbanded or whether they were part of the Rocks umbrella even when Kaido was considered an "apprentice" in the crew...

Big Mom needs to do something about the crew making a mockery of her again, this is starting to get out of hand... Robin looked a right snack this chapter and the crew spread was simply divine. I feel like we'll briefly switch to Kaido next week as well seeing Marco and Perospero confronting some of the other Numbers on the way to the Banquet Hall. And LOL at Queen intercepting Luffy and Zoro like that.

Last edited:

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 989

What an eventful chapter, mostly in terms of the Strawhats gathering in one place. :D

It's great that your theory about Numbers got proven, @darkeningcloud ! Soon enough, Kaido's deck will be fully revealed. Perhaps these Numbers bring nothing much to the story in terms of characterization and action (they're just walking calamities), but at least they knit the OP world closer together. By being failed results of the project that aimed to recreate Ancient Giants, they tie Kaido, Big Mom, Vegapunk and reaffirms the importance of the Punk Hazard arc.

Big Mom has been thwarted by the Strawhats once again. This time it actually made sense. Numbers attacked which gave her an opportunity to attack Franky from behind. She lifted her right hand which Jinbei used as an opening to attack. He practically used her motion against her. Robin then just used the momentum to roll her away. It's good team-work and a nice action scene. Not everything needs to be punches and kicks.

Franky's samurai helmet is one of his best-looking designs. The docking was fun as well. And I like how Big Mom once again said that there's so many unique people in Luffy's crew.

Sanji's well thanks to the suit. Shinobu and Momo running away from Yamato was hilarious! Luffy and Zoro stumbling upon Queen just like that was funny as well. It looks like Queen's trying too avoid battle only to be forced to join. :XD

The double-spread with united Strawhats is fantastic. Jinbe's took quite an important position.

Hyougoro's optimism is praiseworty, but things in arcs like these tend to get worse before they get better.

Minks and Retainers are up against Kaido, Jack and others. Shinobu, Yamato and Momo are running away - they probably won't face the strongest Beast Pirates. Hyogoro, samurai and yakuza aim to battle the Tobi Roppo. The Strawhats will probably handle King and Queen while Luffy attempts to reach Kaido.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
That full-crew panel was astounding. I'm so happy Jinbe finally got his colour page inclusion a couple of chapters ago AND finally gets to be part of the Mugiwara Centrefold, for lack of a better term :p It's a good thing he's on the crew as well because that hundred-fold strength of a fishman coupled with his fishman karate manipulating the water in a human's body makes him an extreme threat to juggernauts like Big Mom. It'd be interesting if he taught Robin some techniques in their downtime - her ability to bloom uncountable limbs would actually make her one of the deadliest practitioners of the martial art in One Piece. I can see the 10 million tile punch already...

@Polgarena, yeah I feel the same way about the Numbers creating that much needed extra connection with the atrocities on Punk Hazard and the link between the two Yonko. It looks like these numbers have archaic numerals tattooed on their abdomens. Jaki has 4, Jyuki has 10. We obviously can't see Goki's but it's safe to assume his tattoo will read 5. I can't wait to see the others though; these feral ones seem to have the kanji for oni in their names and are dressed the part so Kunyu and the others who don't laugh with a "ki" might be dressed like Hacha and have more "civilised" designs.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very glad that Jinbei fits so seamlessly with the Strawhats, leaving the Beast Pirates to wonder how come the First Son of the Sea, a former Shichibukai and a former Big Mom's vassal fights by Luffy's side. We had the Monster Trio before and all crew-mates improved their skills over the years, but with Jinbei onboard, the crew becomes so much more well-rounded. I already liked how he worked with Robin, so here's to mor examples of teamwork in the future.

There is so much lore; it's one of the most complex and rich universes in all fiction. And Oda knits it all together. Oda said he's definitely going towards the endgame, that we probably have 5 years worth of content left (though it could go on longer because plans change and Oda made some of the previous arcs longer than initially planned). He managed to fit Roger's journey into a flashback mini-arc, so I'm sure we'll see more connections arise with the new chapters.

I would also like to praise the continuity in the latest chapter. Everything happened so quickly and in close succession. Oda tied it all with Giant falling down. First Franky shots it. We see it falling backward while Luffy and Zoro face Queen. And then it's completely fallen down when we're shown that Sanji survived King's attack. It's just details, but I really appreciate it.

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
Chapter 990

I'm guessing Fukurokujo is responding to the cries of Orochi who isn't actually dead. Considering the Yamata-no-Orochi could regenerate its heads and couldn't be killed unless all 8 of them were removed, it only makes sense for the current shogun to also have that ability. I never thought he was actually dead for a moment because of this, nor do I think Kanjuro - an actor - is dead either. I was hoping the remaining 8 scabbards would be the ones to kill Orochi by decapitating all of his heads in a full-on assault but they currently have their hands full with Kaido... I wonder how it'll all unfold?

Raws confirmed Number 10's name was Jyuki and Goki himself has the archaic kanji for 5 tattooed on his abdomen. Hooray! I mentioned this on reddit but it looks like all of the loincloth-wearing feral Numbers share a theme and their naming convention reflects this; all of them use the "number-oni" kanji for their names and Hacha, the only one with a modern look, is also the only one to not follow this formula. So I'm thinking Kunyu, No. 9, will be dressed like a normal human as well and his/her name will follow the same formula as Hacha's. So instead of number-oni it'll be number-drink: with Hacha being 8-Tea, Kunyu will be 9-Milk.

I certainly wasn't expecting Who's Who and Queen's actual target to be X Drake but I have to admire the fact that they played up an enmity between themselves to hide their intentions and waited for an opportunity to strike. I feel like he's gonna have to eat a knuckle sandwich before he becomes a part of the alliance though; Luffy's not gonna let Drake slide for destroying Amigasa Village in the same way he wanted to get even with Bege for shooting Pekoms.

Jack, please go hybrid, I beg you.

Man, that panel of Black Maria... Truly, the most beautiful woman in the New World.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 990 "Army of One"

Where to begin?

~ I can't say that I've forgotten about Sasaki, but it's funny to find out that it took Big Mom knocking over that sacred tree to free him. It looks like he'll be after Denjiro.

~ The dome battle seems to be quite even. Jack took some beating and Minks even in Sulong forms are being pushed back. There was no doubt that Inuarashi and Nekomamushi would stop Kin'emon from going against Jack; this is their fight, a payback for Zou. I know that many things are going on in the same time, but when was Oda going to reveal Inuarashi and Nekomamushi's Sulong forms if not now?!

~ King's roasting Queen as usual. :XD The Udon uprsing has really been a miracle if Queen only now connected the dots that something went wrong with Babanuki the warden. Had it not been for the turnaround later in the chapter, I would've thought that some of the Tobi Roppo are indeed a better fit as a Calamity than Queen.

~ Fukurokujo's going elsewhere and the leader of Mimawarigumi noticed. If I remember correctly, the Mimawarigumi leader was one of the most nervous people back when Kaido gave them an ultimatum to either follow him or work as slaves in the Flower Capital. Anyway, I really like your line of thinking, @darkeningcloud ! :thumbs Orochi's decapitation was quite a shocking moment, but I thought to myself that I wouldn't believe that he's dead it until the arc wrapped up.

~ Great work on the Numbers theory as well, @darkeningcloud . I like the callback to the Thriller Bark, Oars and how the Strawhats teamed up to defeat him. The Strawhats are the best when they work together.

~ That's quite an observation from Hyogorou, that Luffy looks like "a guardian deity". He's invoked such image a number of time already, not on every island they visit, but enough times to make it important. It started to become more prominent with Shyarly's prophecy IIRC. Oda's been very careful with these, sprinkling them through the stories like spices.

~ So, does the fact that he and Who's Who handed X-Drake to Queen mean that Hawkins has completely sided with Kaido? X-Drake has freed Law from the prision, but what is X-Drake's endgame here? The way he mentions "hope" reminds me of Pedro and "the dawn that's about to arrive". Is he the one with the 1% chance to survive? The way Oda connects various details - like Coby in this chapter - from the remaining 990 is amazing as is the final double-spread.

Edit: Hopefully we see Black Maria in action soon because she's rather mysterious wearing that never-changing serene smile.

Last edited:

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Not entirely on topic, but the cover for vol. 97 was released:
One Piece Volume 97
Black Maria is so beautiful; she reminds me of those gorgeous actresses from the golden age of cinema. I didn't expect her hair to be blonde.

And Sasaki, for some reason, he reminds me of Woody Harrelson. Can they seriously speed up the production of the live action series so that we can get Woody playing Sasaki, please! :XD

darkeningcloud

Ponderer of Titles
Reaction score
@Polgarena not just the cover, the entire volume has been dropped! The Oniwabanshu have all been named in the SBS as well, finally.

Yeah seeing Black Maria as a blonde haired/blue eyed woman is kinda refreshing actually, it adds a sense a familiarity among the otherwise extravagant and interesting colour schemes of the world. Who's Who with the red/pink palette is dope as well. I was kinda hoping Ulti's hair would be green though :( Blue or purple just felt too obvious...

How do you feel about the theory going around that Sasaki is Kokoro's son?