• Animation of Kubo Tite's "Burn the Witch" has been released. Join the Burn the Witch Anime Discussion thread to share your thoughts, critiques and impressions on the episodes!

Burn the Witch Anime Discussions

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Burn the Witch anime is right around the corner. It will be streamed as 3 episodes on Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/09/18/heres-the-exact-time-burn-the-witch-begins
Prepare to get bewitched in Reverse London with a three-episode movie from Bleach's Tite Kubo, because the streaming premiere of BURN THE WITCH is right around the corner! The anime will officially cast its spell upon us all on Crunchyroll starting October 1 at 5:00pm Pacific Time.

[...]

Territories: North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Oceania, the Middle East, and CIS
Share your thoughts about the adaptation, animation quality and voice performances here.

Anime Discussion Rules

• All forum rules still apply, just use common sense and just be nice.
  • Posting direct links to illegally hosted copyrighted material, is no longer allowed.
  • Don't post claiming something is yours when it is not; you will be banned.
  • As per the forum rules, short posts, anything less then a sentence about 50 characters, are looked down on. Keep spam to a minimum, use the reaction system or VM's if needed.
  • Rating poll will be added by a mod only when an official episode is out.
Discuss it on BA on Discord as well:

Last edited:

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
All 3 episodes of Burn the Witch have been released on Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/burn-the-witch

They're available for premium users for now and will be available for free users on 08th October.

I've only seen the first few minutes. It is unfortunate that it begins with chapter 1 and not with the one-shot. Granted, I haven't watched anything further, so I don't know if they included some parts from the one-shot later on.

Reaction score
After struggling getting our premium subscription to work yesterday it worked today. I have just watched the three episodes. I am writing a brief comment within spoiler space:

The first story is indeed not included in the animated mini series. To me, the anime works. The nature of Balgo and Osushi has not been explained but nevertheless, I could follow the story well and some things don't need to be explained straight away. When it comes to the anime, it can be discovered in time, as in a flashback.

Also, the anime made it pretty clear that the "panties observer" is not Balgo but Osushi. This makes these scenes funny to me. Balgo still has a pervy nature but within limits. I don't want to read the first story again but if I remember this correctly, the panties obsessed person was definitely Balgo. In that case, dropping the first story was the right idea.

I recently read a funny article about a group of parrots in a zoo that was moved because they enjoyed swearing at the visitors. Maybe Osushi heard Balgo once or twice being passionate about panties and Osushi started mimicking him. :p

Sullivan Squire shows a uniform with plain buttons and is wearing a plain shirt. The SS sign on her collar has been removed. But it is still shown in the introduction picture. I would have preferred it if the anime had dropped that part completely but this is better than nothing.

I definitely enjoyed the anime more than the manga. The animation is very good and well put together. It was an entertaining watch. After feeling lukewarm about the manga, I grew more interested in it and am looking forward to the translated paperback.

After Polgarena was so kind to share clips from the soundtrack, I just want to add that I was very disappointed. The end piece was a typical pattern for an end and felt just "blah" to me. There was no tune I found in any way memorable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was thinking while watching this that the Nina(?) character kind of reminds me of Hiyori and the dude with the blue streak reminded me of Grimmjow.

I read the Burn the Witch one shot and I don't remember it ending like this? Not to say that this was bad it just seemed too short. I'm wondering exactly how this fits into the Bleach universe. Like the little guns and the incantations are clearly supposed to be kido.

But like the witches and wizards thing? Idk man.

Ah, I see. There's a manga counterpart I haven't read.

Reaction score
I was thinking while watching this that the Nina(?) character kind of reminds me of Hiyori and the dude with the blue streak reminded me of Grimmjow.

I read the Burn the Witch one shot and I don't remember it ending like this? Not to say that this was bad it just seemed too short. I'm wondering exactly how this fits into the Bleach universe. Like the little guns and the incantations are clearly supposed to be kido.

But like the witches and wizards thing? Idk man.

There’s 4 more chapters besides the one shot

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can read the 1st, 3rd and 4th chapters here: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100113
I don't know if all 4 are available on VIZ's Shonen Jump app.

I plan to write the review for the anime one of these days, but can't seem to find enough time to type it all down. Together with the manga, it's made very enjoyable.

Reaction score
I watched Premier still didnt said anything about it.
It was truly a amazing experience for something só short(that is big letdown)I got goosebums since first minutes.

The studio colorido isnt the best suite for Kubo work because they dont do well with detail artstyle and prefer colourful designs Lucky enough this was a mid film of 2020 and btw works better than Bleach in this still because of Magical setting and focus on female Cast.

Also isnt acceptable the type of production when the series is literally divided in seasons. I see where they are coming from because of marketing for a innovative way of presenting a series but still!
for that reason many stuff was cut from original. It had scenes all chapters even pilot was adapted for my surprise. However many scenes were changed, it was weird because i thought The whole point of having more btw was to fulfill the film requirements but Turned out some stuff was censored(eg dark dragon blood?) , scrapped(eg. Premise of pilot), added(eg married couple citizens) and altered(eg. Ending scene)

The ending segment even not animated it was very well made with One of the best songs for anime ending and at the same time so fitting (something that totally lacked in Bleach for not having the same kind of treatment) and acchieved in creating a desire of wanting more of this fantastic setting and cast (also included scenes of chapter 2) and sense of cohesive and independed IP that could be separated of his older brother(Bleach)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried reading the manga, but gave up on the first 10 pages.

Still, since the anime was out so quickly and it was so short, I decided to give it a try. And while it is very rare for me to enjoy anime more than manga, I actually found the three episodes quite enjoyable.

Front London/Reverse London are a really cozy place to have the series background. Colorful, pleasant, in 10 seconds of shots through the city I was already more fond of it than Karakura/Soul Society.

But the main duo is definitely the best part for me. Ninny and Noelle are very reminiscing of Bleach characters without feeling rehashed. Both have fun personalities that are easily established while also feeling distinguishable (so just the right amount of "trope", not allowing them to not be unique). Really liked those two, mainly Ninny. Not to mention is always great to see a shonen with a female protagonist, so what about two? Also the little dragons are beyond cute.

Now for the bad aspects.

First, Balgo. He is annoying. I don't think there is any other word I can use to describe his character since he barely feels like he has an actual personality. All the time he was just an attempt at comedic relief that 100% of the time felt forced, not funny and misplaced.
Comedy in shonen is something that dwindles as the series continue, so at least we can be sure his character will become better once more sides of him are shown.

Second, and the my main complaint: the plot made absolutely no sense.
So the leaders of Wing Bind decide to issue an order to execute Balgo. This is important: Balgo's execution is officially issued, it is not some shady thing that will have to de carried out by some secret corps. Abarai Grimmjow even says that soon every witch/wizard will be after Balgo's head.
With this established, let's see how his apprehension and execution are handled: Renjow goes after a human who is sheltering a dragon, smuggle her and the dragon to Reverse London and stage a terrorist attack on a building to incriminate Balgo so he can be killed.
NOTHING MAKES SENSE!!!
First, he is was aware of the location of a human harboring a dragon, since he could use her at his leisure, something that was pretty much stated to be a crime. And yet apparently he was just letting her be as if he knew someday she could be useful.
Second, he acts criminally trying to blame Balgo so he can be executed even though the execution was already issued officially, meaning there was no reason at all to falsely accuse Balgo of anything (if he wanted so hard to be the one to kill the guy, just go there and kill him. This plan wouldn't help in any way).
Third, if he was going to blame Balgo for the terrorist attack, why did he even need the girl and her dragon there???
And to make things worse, this complete mess of a plan also involved him being fine with killing two officers of his organization and falsely reporting their death so it wouldn't be pinned on him. AND his plan caused half of the city being blown away by a gigantic dragon. And this is one of the good guys. We are supposed to like him.
In the end he should at least have been fired, ideally put in jail, but instead everything is fine, highlighting Kubo Tite was not even aware this complete non-sense was complete non-sense.

It was enjoyable, I won't lie. I will definitely check once the second batch is out. But for something so short (4 chapters/3 episodes) there seemed to be so little planning involved I am not optimistic this will develop in a satisfying way.

p.s.: on a side note regarding the manga, that colorspread of the directors? Roy must be the sexiest man in manga history.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have just watched the three-part anime again in order to get a better feeling for the story. I basically agree with you, .access.timeco.

I expected some recycling of character designs and personality patterns. Initially I was put off by the strong Hiyori parallels I noticed in Ninny. Now that I watched the story again, I grew to like the interactions between Ninny and Noel more. Bickerings between friends - this is also an element from Bleach. It is typical Tite Kubo, it seems.

Yes, that we have two female lead characters in this series is something I also consider to be very positive. I learned that Rukia was originally chosen as the lead of Bleach but eventually, it seems it had to be a male. Nowadays female leads also in action roles are much more acceptable and these two are refreshing in that regard. They are a good team who are able to support each other, rely on each other and they are definitely professionals. It is a welcome contrast to so many female characters I have seen in anime format elsewhere.

Balgo is annoying. To me he is like Keigo. I found him so annoying in Bleach! Right now I am grateful that he is not as bad as Kon but Balgo is bad enough. I have to add, I disliked early Keigo but later he developed into a much more three dimensional character I actually respected on occasion. Balgo needs to make a similar journey.

I have to wonder - are the leaders of the Wing Bind sections supposed to be the "good guys"? The motto "dragons are dangerous - let's kill them" is too simplistic and feels wrong. I felt bad for Cinderella and that Balgo is kept alive for being a lure, it feels wrong too. These are not good guys, not in my book.

Bruno is a cross between Grimmjow (including mask) and Bazz-B (having a tantrum because people make fun of his hairstyle). This is definitely not a good guy. I disliked him immediately, his arrogance, the sneering and the exaggerated man spread he is showing off continuously.

I am not a fan of this series but I am curious. It has potential and I hope it will get better.

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
BURN THE WITCH ANIME REVIEW

It's been a while since I've seen Burn the Witch, but something always kept me from writing a detailed review. It's rather long, but I miss the days when we all used to write a detailed review on something related to Bleach.

Thank you to all of you who shared your thoughts on this topic. :loyal

Before writing about episode 1, I will first outline that my general impression is that Burn the Witch is the most enjoyable as a full package. You get to appreciate most of the elements (story, art, characters) when you read both the one-shot and the first manga season as well as watch the animated film.

Studio Colorido has done an excellent job at coming up with a vibrant visual identity by respecting Kubo's original designs down to the point and breathing life into them. The colour scheme looks so nice, especially in the sequences with magic where the light changes through the usage of pastel and colours from the rainbow.

Kubo generally does a good job at presenting the worlds he creates with his unique designs and inspiration he draws from other art-forms. Here, the anime capitalizes on that. You get from a scantly-lit back alley, to a serene meadow, followed by a depiction of Reverse London I wish we could see in real life cities more often. There are more examples, but Stefano Boeri is an architect who promotes the concept of vertical and urban forestry. There are more who follow these ideals; nowadays there are people who have entire gardens where they grow edible plants on the rooftops. Knowing Kubo's love for architecture, I can't help but wonder if he was inspired by the concept of urban and vertical forestry when he designed Reverse London.

On a side note, here's a picture of one of Boeri's projects - the Liuzhou Forest City in China:

The animation is especially nice in action segments; there are no wasted frames in my opinion. There was a nice number of new sequences, either completely new or presented from a different point of view when compared to the manga, like the sequence where Ninny waits while the coffee is being made, people reacting to the tape barrier, the split mirror image of Macy, Elly reaching and attacking Bruno, the wind-rooster turning once the witches fly by etc.

The official OST CD sample offers a preview of some of the tracks (you can listen to it here). It has all those elements other series and films have when they feature some sort of magic - frequent use of triangle for example. :p I appreciate the orchestrated sequences that are being balanced by heavier beats reserved for the action parts as well as quite a bit of funk. The ending song is a typical cheerful ED. I'm not particularly fond of it although it helps a lot that the accompanying visuals feature the everyday life events of the characters.

The voice acting is quite good as well, the highlights being Bruno's VA (distinct voice, not easily comparable to what he does with Sugimoto from Golden Kamuy), the competently good Nirata Hiroaki (Billy's VA) and Noel and Ninny's VAs as well.

The story has small hiccups people have already covered, but I didn't mind them that much. It was weird though, that the anime made it seem like Bruno only found and "recruited" Macy and Elly after the Top of Horns had their meeting, where the manga gave me the impression that Bruno's plan to use Macy and Elly in order to make himself a legendary wizard was a long-brewing one and that he's jumped on the train to kill Balgo because the opportunity presented itself. But then I checked and he really did contact Macy the night before the Cinderella incident would happen. :headscratch The way the anime presented Bruno's grandiose plan really makes it far too convoluted, like @.access.timeco. said. Also, how come we see no consequences of a city-block worth of buildings being blown up in the Cinderella incident?! Even if it was a business district, there would be casualties.

When it comes to the characters, they are as colourful as he colour palette of Reverse London.

Having read and seen everything, it's obvious the one-shot focused heavily on Noel and while she's still the star, it was Ninny who has gone through a character journey in the first manga season and thus in the anime. Ninny has been humanized quite a bit in my opinion. There is depth to her character because in her pursuit of results for a promotion to Sabres, the truth is that her prime motivation is to do something that counts, something that makes a difference when she already has these powers. We see that she has an eventful life in Front London, but she truly shines only in Reverse London, when she's on duty - that's the place she feels she truly belongs to.

Noel is the quiet one of the pair. The fun thing about her character is that even though it seems like she's in Wing Bind for the money (look how she increases her income by turning both the Bud Buck and the flowers it has bloomed), she has all the tools necessary for the job. I think that she truly likes Dragons - we see that in the scenes from her apartment the anime cut and included in the end credits - and that her soul belongs with the Pipers even though she probably has enough power to join the Sabres as well. What I love about her is that she's an erudite when it comes to Dragons and Magic.

Balgo is still annoying with his pervy tendencies (poor Osushi, who is such a cute dragon-dog - picked up some of them like a parrot), but at least it wasn't as bad as it was in the one-shot. Balgo's there for the cool factor, although the truly swag character is actually Roy B. Dipper. It may be just me, but it appears that Sullivan Squire (it's sad that the unfortunate typography remained even though the sigils from her buttons were removed because they'd be a bother to animate) received a bit more screen-time.

In conclusion, Burn the Witch in its animated form does a good job at presenting and enriching the world Kubo Tite has come up with. Hopefully the anime is as well received as the short manga in Japan warranting the continuation in this form as well. The second manga season has been announced, so I wonder what Kubo has planned and where he plans to take the story in the future.

Now, allow me to list at least some of the specific details I enjoyed from the anime or thought they're worthy of being mentioned. It's a long list, but I just had to do it:
~ We clearly see Macy within the first 40 seconds; in the manga she was on a small 2nd/3rd level secret kind of a panel.
~ Loving the effect when Ninny activates the portal, down to the lingering magic/electricity.
~ At 02:09, the forest animation looks superb.
~ I like the change in the style for the world-building witches vs. dragons segment.
~ Balgo didn't caught somebody's laundry in the manga; I'm quite sure of that. And there's an interesting change because in the manga, the man Balgo came into contact with was in an apartment, while here he was fixing up the chimneys.
~ At 14:06, is that rust on the tip of the Dragon blockade gate?
~ Fun way to animate the Top of Horns round table.

~ I don't remember that the team has stopped on a roof to give the uniform to Balgo. That was a really nice shot when Noel, Balgo and Osushi ride off while Ninny stays for a bit.
~ Macy going nuts after Noel showed up still breaks the tension, but at least it's done better in the anime in my opinion.
~ I have to make a gif out of Billy sneaking up to the Top of Horns room to eavesdrop. :XD
~ Hey, at 10:31 of episode 2, we see what looks like BTW's version of "St. George Slays the Dragon".
~ They even went through the trouble of animating the clouds behind Bruno at 12:36!
~ The part where Bruno tells Ninny that Macy's a Watcher is nicely done with the wind selling the dramatic reveal.
~ They didn't include the magic necklace Ninny used to prevent Macy from slipping from her grip while they were flying off.
~ Awesome animation of Rickenbacker's arrival and an awesome change of colour palette signalizing the setting sun and the arrival of the night.
~ The anime depicts Noel's barrier better.
~ Cool details in the flashback that shows how Macy found Elly. Her hair is wet even though she has an umbrella. Later, we'll find out that it was Balgo who gave her the umbrella.
~ Baby Elly looks so cute. :amuse

~ Elly's transformation (under a crescent moon) is both fantastic looking and terrifying.
~ Cinderella looks gorgeous; such a pity it had to be killed. I hope there will be a story behind Maerchens, that they're not just uberly dangerous creatures that need to be killed to keep the humans safe. Dragons are usually depicted as incredibly intelligent creatures.
~ The final fight looks spectacular!
~ Balgo shares a part of his name with a knight from an Arthurian legend Sir Ywain. I've discovered that piece of trivia through Bleach Reddit. Watch it as Balgo turns out to be a descendant of another legendary warrior, be it the one shown on the painting from episode 2 (10:31) or not.
~ I think Cinderella fell into the river.
~ They changed the layout of the location where Billy took a shot from.

Last edited: